Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The State of my Gaming

I've been pretty happy lately because I've gotten a lot of gaming in, including some gaming with my kids and as part of the board game group at my local FLGS.

You may notice that I've added a BGG widget that shows my most recently played games with links to the game (the image and name) and the play details (the date).  I'm trying to make sure I'm recording details on games in BGG though I know I've missed a couple already.

Note that currently the BGG Recently Played widget has a bug that causes every other entries link to the play details to be wrong.  If you really care about the play details of any game that I log you can easily see the entire log of my plays via this link.  Fixed.

Probably the most important of the recent games were:

1. Playing 7 Wonders for the first time.  This was at Ancient Wonders regular Monday Night Board Gaming activity and it was a blast!  7 Wonders is a game that was already on my wish list because; a) it has a really cool theme, b) it has great looking components, c) people who's opinion on boardgames I respect have raved about it.  But now having played it I can say without a doubt that as soon as I'm able I will be picking up my own copy.  I got totally creamed in this game coming in last with six players but I didn't care, it was incredibly fun.   There is a great G.K. Chesterson quote regarding this, "You never enjoy a game till you enjoy being beaten at the game.".


2. Getting in a game of Warhammer 40K with my friend Jeremy.  I rarely play 40k.  It's not the worst game in the world but it's not all that great either.  I've expressed my frustrations with the current (5th) edition already.  Luckily it can be a fun game regardless of its short-comings IF you have a good opponent.  Jeremy is fun to play against, is very knowledgeable about the game and is very good at it.  In fact, while I only lost by one kill point, it really would have been worse for me had I not had some superb luck in the first turn.  Killing his Demon Prince and wiping out his entire unit of Thousand Sons with my five Lightning Claw Terminators made a big difference for the rest of the game.

3. Having my daughter Emily and son Jackson play a game of Agricola with me.  Emily of course had no idea what she was doing but she had a lot of fun and that is frankly all that matters.  I'm hoping this will mean more gaming interest from my kids in the future.

No comments: