Monday, February 7, 2011

Ever wonder why so few women are into gaming?

How many of you have seen the following:

Setting; your FLGS on any given day.

The Cast; A store full of gamers, all male, rambling on about their favorite geeky hobby.

The Catalyst; A woman enters.

The Event; A gaggle of love sick nerds fall all over themselves to keep her in line of sight while simultaneously trying to act like it's no big deal.


Seriously, if anything with breasts walks through the front door of my FLGS I would say at least half of the population start acting like she's the one they've been waiting for.

Now in and of itself this isn't that big of a deal.  I'm sure it happens all over the place in a variety of situations and I don't blame them per se.  But then there are the ones who take it just a tad too far.

This past Saturday my FLGS had an Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer event that included handing out a really cool promo card.  One pair of the participants to this event were a husband and wife.

The wife, we'll call her Marsha, was an attractive middle age woman who was very nice and a fun opponent (I played her in the first and last rounds of the event).  She did, however have one particular endowment that ensured she would be oogled by every man and boy that had the chance, she had enormous breasts.  I mean huge.  And she wore a rather tight, white, some-what low cut shirt.  Nothing really ostentatious, just something that called a little more attention to her chest than she probably realised.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a boob man, just ask my wife.  But I also try to be a gentleman.  Sure I'll notice, I may even stare from time to time (though generally this is just reflex IMO).  But I still try to be a gentleman.  Particularly when I'm engaged in conversation or activity with the woman in question.  When playing against her I tried to make sure I was focused on the cards in play or in my hand.  There was the occasional stray (I'm a man remember?) but I really tried not to embarrass myself or her.  Particularly for the second game where my son was also playing.

Ah, if only gentlemanly behaviour were more universal.  You see there was another person in the game room with us, we'll call him Al the Dinosaur Man (it's an inside joke).  Now Al walked in, sat down at the table adjacent to ours and then immediately recognized a member of the opposite sex.  But since he had the same orientation as her he couldn't really look at her without being blatantly obvious.  Switching table sides would have been the same thing as putting up a neon sign that said "I'm moving so I can stare at your tits lady."

So you would think that he would realize that the only decent thing to do was accept his fate and steal the occasional glance.   But you would be wrong.  You see, Al is pretty hard up I guess so he spent most of his time hovering over our table, particularly on her side and right behind her shoulder.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out he was copping every view he could of her cleavage.  What's worse, he was in full view of her husband.  I couldn't see the husband to know his reaction but I doubt it would have been anything other than annoyance (jealously certainly wouldn't have entered in, Al is a super dork).

Like I said, I'm a boob man, and she had nice ones.  But so what?  If you live in any reasonably sized city you are going to see huge boobs everywhere.  Does that mean you have to stare and be rude?  Seriously, if you are that hard up to see some breasts, throwing "tit images" into Google will probably take care of you.

I'm realistic.  Guys are going to look at women' breasts.  It's the nature of things.  I don't even think of it as a bad thing.  I'm reminded of a scene in the movie The Adventures of Ford Fairlane, where the protagonist was addressing his rather well endowed assistant, all the while staring rather blatantly at her chest.  She waits for him to finish and then says, "How about you look me in the eye when you are talking to me?".  To which he responds, "I can't, those....".  I do honestly think that woman should take the general glance at their chest as a compliment because I think that 99% of the time that's exactly what it's meant to be.  I think the vast majority of the men in this world are not pigs, we just like women.

HOWEVER, there is a clear divide between appreciating the body of any one particular woman and being a total pervert.  Dinosaur Man was being a perv.  Plain and simple.  There really was no excuse for how he acted.  When I was telling my wife about what happened, it struck me that I probably should have said something to Al about it.  Maybe not right then and there, I'm not heartless and despite how annoying he can be I wouldn't want to purposely put him down or embarrass him.  But after the fact a word or two along the lines of "Dude, be a gentleman." may have been in order.

Next time you are in your FLGS and a woman walks in, make sure you act like a gentleman, and make sure the other nerds do too.

3 comments:

Cristin said...

Well at least you now know what to do if it happens again. I can't blame you for not thinking about saying something when you are distracted by boobies. Lol

You didn't say anything about her being attractive.....

Lol

I love my boob man and I love this post.

Larry said...

/sigh...

I did say she was an attractive middle age woman to you on the phone.

It was meant as a descriptor not as a personal viewpoint of merit.

But yeah, the more I think about it, the more I feel like I should have said something to him. Though I doubt it would make any difference.

Jeremy said...

You just need to loose that tact like me. I am all about letting ass hats know their place. EG: WFB tournament where I let, lets call him MAN, know that he is in fact, a douche bag. Now he knows! He may not care or even be know what the word means, but it was said. Now I urge you to practice tactlessness next time you see the second stomach. QUAID!