Thursday, February 3, 2011

Death to the Traitor!

Got in a game of Horus Heresy last night against Jeremy.  It was his first time playing and only my second.

Jeremy took the traitors and I played the loyalists.   Having only played the Traitors myself I was surprised to find that one of the starting orders cards the loyalists get is "Boarding Action" which allows the player to move any number of units and heroes from a single palace section to the Vengeful Spirit, Horus' command ship.  I had expected that card to be buried in the order deck.  So I figured what the heck I'll go for the throat since one of the winning conditions is the death of either Horus or the Emperor.

We fought several battles between Horus and the Emperor and their retinues aboard the Vengeful Spirit, each time putting more and more damage on the respective leaders.  In one of the final rounds I had drawn a card that would allow me to heal the Emperor for three points, but I had failed to remember that we had a limited number of turns in that combat and failed to play it (which meant I lost it).

In the next round of combat we fought, with both the Emperor and Horus a mere three health from death I thought for sure I had bungled my way to a loss by failing to play the healing card in the previous combat.  But, as luck would have it, Jeremy was just as big of a bungler as me and played the wrong pair of cards and so only did two damage to the Emperor (despite the fact that he had the proper cards to do three and win) allowing me to follow up with three damage to Horus in the next combat iteration and win the game.

Realistically though it wouldn't have mattered either way as, win or lose, I had fun playing the game and it taught us both a lot of good lessons for future games.

I plan on doing a full review of the game for both here and BGG in the very near future.

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

Weird how the game played out exactly to GW cannon... Just sayin'.