I decided to tackle painting my DBA Macedonian army by element. I have to say that I did not like the dip method at all. The result too heavily subdued the paint below. This required me to essentially reapply the primary colors. While this resulted in a decent looking miniature it was at the expense of basically painting it twice.
At this point I decided to go back to my usual method of block painting and dry brushing. I rarely ever highlight (beyond simple dry brushing at any rate) as it adds little to the table top view of the miniature but does nearly double the amount of work.
I have never been overly pleased with my painting skills but I feel that my work is good enough for game play. Here is a couple of shots of my first two elements of Phalangites.